A crunchy Chourica and breadcrumb topping on traditional Macaroni and Cheese, gives this classic a Portuguese kick!
This recipe is adapted from Alton Brown’s Macaroni & Cheese which is the most downloaded recipe on the Food Network website!
Click here for the Crunchy Oven Fried Chicken recipe.
1/2 pound elbow or curly pasta
3 tbsp butter or margarine
3 tbsp flour
3 cups milk
12 oz of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 small onion finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
1 cup of chourica sausage
1 cup of breadcrumbs
2 tbsp of butter or margarine
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Prepare the topping:
Mince the chourica in a food processor into very small pieces.
Saute the chourica in the butter in a small saucepan until golden and crispy.
Add the breadcrumbs to the chourica and cook on very low heat for about 1 minute until the mixture is golden and well incorporated and set aside.
1. Cook pasta in salted water but leave aldente.
2. While the pasta cooks, melt the butter in a medium saucepan.
Add the flour and mix until smooth. Mix in the flour, onion, milk and bay leaf.
3. Cook on low heat for about 10 minutes stirring continuously so it does not stick and then remove bay leaf.
4. Temper the egg and add it to the sauce. Add the cheese, the tsp of salt and a little crushed black pepper.
5. Mix in the pasta and pour into a casserole dish.
6. Spread the chourica crumble over the macaroni. Top with more cheese if desired.
7. Cook for 30 minutes until golden and crispy.
[…] Click here for the Macaroni & Cheese with Chourica Breadcrumb Crumble recipe. […]