Baked Octopus with Potatoes – Polvo Assado com Batatas
Baked Octopus with Potatoes, served with Broccoli Rabe
I rarely make octopus and the last time I ate it was last Christmas Eve. When I find it as a special of the day, on a Portuguese restaurant’s menu I can’t resist. This photo was of the one I ate at Europa Restaurant in Ludlow, Ma. Word has it that they have it as a special only on Sunday so stop by on your next trip!
Here’s the recipe which I adapted from the one you’ll find in my cookbook! Enjoy!
2 -3 pounds of octopus
1 large onion
1 large onion (chopped)
2 pounds of small round potatoes (washed and dry)
1 large red bell pepper (chopped)
3 cloves garlic (chopped)
½ cup of olive oil
¼ cup of olive oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
Parsley for garnish
Olive oil and vinegar for garnish
1 bunch of Broccoli Rabe
- Bring enough water in large pan to a boil with 1 large onion. If our octopus is frozen, let thaw overnight in the refrigerator in a big bowl. It has a lot of water, so have a bowl big enough to hold the moisture. When ready to cook, rinse the octopus with very cold water and remove the beak. You can just cut the head off and discard it. I use the head by chopping into little pieces and use it in omelets, rice, seafood dishes or as a salad.
2. Grab the octopus by the head and dip the tentacles slightly into the boiling water, remove and dip again in the water 2 more times.
3. Put the octopus into the boiling water and let cook on medium heat for 30 minutes or longer until the octopus is tender. (test by cutting a little piece off the tentacle)
Note: You don’t want to over cook since it will be too mushy.
4. Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a deep baking dish and season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with ½ of the raw chopped onion and ½ cup olive oil and cook at 400 F for about 30 minutes shaking the pan once in a while.
5. Saute remaining chopped onion, red pepper, garlic, and bay leaf in ¼ cup olive oil for about 2 minutes. Add the vinegar and cook for a minute. Set aside.
6. When octopus is cooked, drain and place in the pan with the potatoes and cover with pan juices. Add the cooked onions. Cook at 350 degrees F until the potatoes are fully cooked and the flavors are well incorporated.
To serve, cut the tentacles into serving portions of about 1 or 2 to each person. Serve with the potatoes, onions and peppers. Garnish with parsley, olive oil and vinegar if desired.
Broccoli Rabe: Rinse, cut off thick stems and cook in boiling salted water for at least 8-10 minutes until tender. Drain and serve with more chopped onions garlic and olive oil